Mortgage & Consumer Lending Underwriter #13-478
Date Posted: 08/30/2013
This is a full-time position
in the Mortgage & Consumer Lending department.
Location of job: Seattle - Downtown - Seattle, WA
We are looking for friendly, energetic people who have the qualifications and skills that match today's opportunity. The Mortgage & Consumer Lending Department has two openings for an Underwriter. This position is responsible for providing high quality service to branches and their clients by analysis and appropriate action (approval/denial/suspension) including requests for first lien home loans, according to Washington Federal policies and procedures and regulatory guidelines; participating in loan committee meetings and product production development activities; providing phone and other informational support to the divisions and their branches; and assuming responsibility in the absence of the Underwriting Manager when called upon to do so. Washington Federal is proud of the high value that we all place on simply being nice when serving our co-workers and Washington Federal clients.
Key functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain the integrity of Washington Federal’s interests in all lending activities.
- Protect the Bank from risk through quality underwriting; interpret loan documents and make educated judgments based upon data received and policy.
- Apply proper pricing and use additional pricing when appropriate.
- Lead as a resource in loan policy, programs, regulations and ethical lending practices.
- Act as member of Loan Committee within established approval limits; establish reasonable and appropriate approval conditions as warranted.
- Make quality judgments; create a positive balance between risk and production support.
- Possess proficient loan operations knowledge, including program, underwriting, and regulations.
- Capable of conducting appraisal reviews; possess skills necessary to evaluate collateral.
- Provide education and guidance to lending personnel; lead staff knowledge development and service delivery.
Full-time schedule; 40 hours per workweek.
Position requires a Bachelors degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or approved equivalent. Previous underwriting experience required. Previous experience is desired in processing mortgage loans, clearing of title, ordering and reviewing residential appraisals, and interacting with originators of loans such as branch managers or loan officers. Strong analytical skills, excellent organization and communication skills, and the ability to be detail minded are necessary. The successful candidate will be able to provide outstanding customer service in accordance with Washington Federal’s quality standard. Basic computer proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Word, Outlook, and Excel) and internet usage is required.
To apply, please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or 425 Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98101 Attn: Human Resources. Washington Federal promotes a healthy working environment for all of our employees. To that end, Washington Federal makes it a policy to not offer employment to individuals who smoke or use tobacco products. You must also successfully pass a background/credit check, and drug test to be considered for employment at Washington Federal.
Washington Federal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.